Friday, June 19, 2009

Dead Kennedys


The year is 1980, month is September, the band is the Dead Kennedys, the album is Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. The outcome is : One of the greatest hardcore punk albums if not one of the greatest punk albums. It’s a half an hour plus trip of power that puts even some of the most brutal metal acts to shame. And to this day still holds it’s own weight with or against some of the current line of “punk”. And is one of my favorite albums. Now, what am I getting to? Nothing. I am boasting about a band that I feel is one of the better aspects to a genre as varied as the people who listen to it.

I’ve been into “punk” for some time now, it started with one of the more mainstream bands, the offspring back when Americana came out, and they’re most known song “Pretty Fly for a White Guy” became a novelty. I never looked much into punk until I started studying music more thoroughly. Which it is very safe to say with out “punk” there would be no Metallica or Slayer. But punk’s influence would continue past the 80’s thrash metal acts into current music.

It’s a powerful genre that now takes up 20 some odd present of music today, turn on the radio to almost any “rock” station minus the oldies and soft rock, but you’ll inevitably hear a “punk” song or a so called “punk” song by whom ever. It’s no surprise that like everything else in music, where ever you are, it is very drawn out. Punk once was something to be scared of and have caution around, now it’s cute to have your 5 year olds in would-be Mohawks and little artificial leather jackets with The Ramones or Sex Pistols logos covering the back of the jacket. You have to think to yourself “Does that kid really listen to songs like Pretty Vacant or Chain Saw”, and you know the question is no, and probably the same goes for dear mommy or daddy who fixes they’re kid up to look like Sid Vicious mated with Kate Moss and out popped a little punker.

Now I may sound bitter, but I’m not. Funny, don’t you think? Hmm. My rant has run dry for the moment. Oh well. I am thinking of writing another review sometime soon. Never know when though. Oh, another thing, I’ve been meaning to read Ghost World, hopefully soon, I’ll get my sticky fingers all over it. also, I had a meeting today with people about my up coming film, I’ve found a replacement for the member who left, I hope.

... May not be continued. Ha.



No comments:

Post a Comment